samedi 4 juillet 2009

The best croissant in Paris

*
Metropoolis' like Paris present a vast number of choices in every way. From shopping jewelry to picking the best yoghurt in the the local grocery store, there're enough alternatives to make the most experienced shopper stop contemplating.

Getting used to all of this may take a while, and the process necessarily makes a picky person as neither cost nor pomp or location guarantees for a productof quality. This is probably also the reason why many people living in cities may come off as being blase. And it's also why I decided to write about as my favourite croissants in Paris.

A croissant is a pastry you'll find on every street corner. They are usually very good, there's nothing to complain about in general. But, as it's a tasty treat more than a necessity, it's very disappointing when they're dry or tasteless . Like mentioned, this doesen't happen very often, but just as rare is the surprise of a croissant so delicious that it actually stands out among the other buttery delights.


I had my epiphany of Pastry in the Avenue Daumesnil, close to the metro station named after the same general. I was on my way back from visiting a friend when the unusually coloured shop caught my eye. It being a bakery and chocolat store of course did nothing to keep me out of there. As it was time for breakfast, I got a pain au chocolat (or was it two I cannot remember -_-).

Taking a first bite of it left a melting sentation, a semi sweet fondant in combination of the crispy exterior and dark chocolate. I've never tasted pastry similarly melting and pleasant to the palate. It left me wanting for more, however as the shop was a bit out of the way, I got myself together and decided to wait untill the next time I was in the approximity by chance.




Some weeks later, I found myself on that part of the avenue Damumesnil, again returning from a latenight dinner. I had almost forgotten the bakery when the vivid colours reminded me of the taste of delicious, melting pains au chocolat. Not feeling in the mood for chocolate, I decided to try something a little lighter; a croissant and a pastry with vanille cream and chocolate droplets. I was reassured that they were made from the same dought and later, upon taking the first bite, I could confirm that I had not been fooled.

Many times thereafter I have returned to this hidden treasure in Avenue Daumesnil, never have I been disappointed. I do however still try to limit my visits to when I have something else to do in the neighbourhood as I fear my belly would take on the shape of the puffy croisssant itself having the chance of passing by on a daily basis.



* For this boulangerie, take the metro to the stations Daumesnil or Michelt Bizot and walk to 203, avenue daumesnil*

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire